My recent post in my other blog on racism has spurned more ideas for me to write about the Malaysian lifestyle and the interesting things to know about being Malaysian.
After all, Malaysia is approaching her next celebration of independence again which is a week away only and that is enough motivation to make anyone think of the things we practise or enjoy/hate being a Malaysian!
Now, what do we like/dislike being a Malaysian...and how are we different from others?
1. We can speak a minimum of 2 languages (that is the very least)
2. We can jumble up more than 2 languages in one single sentence, and yet people understand each other
"Woi, you mau makan Char Koay Teow at that mamak stall kah?"
4. Different cuisines at any time of the day
Roti Canai for breakfast
Koay Teow Th'ng for lunch
Nyonya kueh for tea break
Nasi Kandar for dinner
5. Eating 24 hours a day (Seriously, you can find stalls open at all the odd hours!)
6. All the good food (we have so many of them; you can even find fusion!)
7. Paradise; you can find almost everything here
- Beaches, highlands, forest reserves, hills, etc
8. No natural disasters!!! - free of earthquakes, volcanoes, typhoons, storms,
9. We can see churches, temples and mosques all within the same area
10. Our driving skills (Honk (and Flash) if you are a Malaysian!:)
11. Closed banks and government offices on weekends
12. Same hair color (all Malaysians have black or dark hair; until recent years when highlights and dye are introduced..LOL!)
13. Our Democracy??
14. Summer all year long! we can wear tube tops, spaghetti straps, singlets, shorts anytime of the year
15. Two seasons in one year only; either it's hot or it's raining - cost-saving for our wardrobe upkeeping
16. Freedom of speech; you can see words of profanity or anything scribbled everywhere...bus stops, public toilets, under the flyovers, etc
17. We are friendly and hospitable folks; and we are nice towards the tourists. We are always willing to help at all times.
Tourists love us!
18. Plenty of public holidays in a year - New Year, Chinese New Year, Hari Raya Haji, Hari Raya Puasa, Awal Muharram, Deepavali, Christmas, Hari raya Qurban, Thai pusam, Nuzul Al-Quran, etc!
19. Everyone has a car in Malaysia or some form of own mode of transportation (you can't wait for the buses/trains...)
20. Bountiful natural resources - petroleum, gas, palm, coconut, water, pineapples, rice, corn, rubber, etc
21. Lots of greeneries (you can even see them on the highways)
22. Kiasu-nism among the students
23. Our ever-need-to-repair roads
24. Traffic jams caused by the traffic police...LOL!
Anything else that you like or proud of that you want to share with me?
I can add to the list accordingly......it is expandable!:D
One Summary: Multi-races living on the same land; speaking the same language and despite the differences, still living in harmony and happily with each other!:)
It is a colorful diversity and peaceful community that I love!
How proud of a Malaysian are you?
I have MOVED to AngelstarChristy.com
8 months ago